On my way to the airport on Maui I had set aside an hour to try this famous food truck known for the best garlic shrimp plate lunch on the island – Geste Shrimp Truck. My husband and I rushed to the “secret” location eager to try this local dish. As strangers to “Hawaiian Time” we nearly missed our flight waiting for the cooks to get around to opening and serving the plate lunch. Now typically I’d be enraged—but this shrimp was SO GOOD I instantly forgave them and have since dreamed about their dish again. I’m not sure when I’ll be back in Maui, so I began making this at home – it always brings back beautiful memories of one of the best Hawaiian vacations I’ve ever had.
Hawaiian Spicy Garlic Shrimp Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 8 minutes
- Serves: 2
- 1 Pound Jumbo Shrimp, In Hawaii they use Easy Peel Shrimp with shells, but you can use Peeled & Deveined shrimp if you prefer
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Head of Garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Teaspoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, you can add more if you like it spicier
- 1½ Teaspoons Flaked Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- A few dashes of Hawaiian Hot Sauce or Hot Pepper Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons White Wine, or you can substitute with 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice and 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Green Onions, only the green parts chopped
In a large bowl add 2 Teaspoons of All Purpose Flour, 1 Tablespoon of Paprika, ¼ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper, 1½ Teaspoons of Flaked Sea Salt and ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper and mix well. Add the shrimp and coat well with the seasoning.
In a large skillet, add 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and 5 Tablespoons of Butter. Turn the heat on high, once the butter is melted add the full head of minced Garlic and the shrimp. Cook the shrimp for about 3-4 minutes on both sides. About 2 minutes before you’re done cooking the shrimp, add 3 Tablespoons of White Wine and a few dashes of hot sauce. Keep stirring the shrimp well, the sauce should get smoother and thicken a little.
Turn off the heat and toss in the the chopped green onions. Serve the shrimp with white rice and Hawaiian Mac Salad (recipe here). Enjoy!
↓ Supplies to make this recipe ↓